Monday, January 9, 2012

Fifth Business

Day 9--Book 9/501

Fifth Business

General Musings: The library is dodging my calls but I promise to get to the bottom of the Library of Congress category issue and get some insight into how they select entries into their collection. I'm behind on everything at work, school, and reading--considering a short term crystal-meth addiction.

If you are reading this blog and want one of the books I've reviewed just drop me a line at bdmcasey@shaw.ca and I'll send it to you (if someone else hasn't asked first). My personal library must be culled and I cannot keep upwards of 501 new books.

Yesterday my router blew-up and the posting was late, so my apologies. Today I am using (surreptitiously) a neighbor's wireless network. Apparently some people are not assiduous with creating unique passwords. I am off to Future Shop to acquire a new router--my wife wants an Apple Airport.

Coming Soon: A selections read feature--look for it.

Running Page Count: 2,507

Today's book: Robertson Davies' Fifth Business

Preface: I am embarrassed to admit that I always avoided Fifth Business, no doubt due to my deep-seated insecurity as a Canadian literary consumer. The jacket of the book I have [not the same as the one pictured to the left] didn't help my prejudice. I have the original first edition paperback edition that has copy running just over the title declaring (in all caps):


"THE MESMERIZING BESTSELLER THAT "EVERYONE WILL BE READING...THE MAGIC, MYSTERY AND IRRESISTIBLE DRIVE OF THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN" -THE NEW YORK TIMES.



The last line is in just slightly smaller font than the title! What kind of publisher has a book share equal space with another title on its own book cover? Below the title the colorful montage of magicians, faces in profile and a naked woman proffering her buttocks makes me queasy.

The Book: Fifth Business is a story about three extraordinary lives that become entwined after an errant snowball hits a small town pregnant woman. The narrator is Dunstan Ramsay, teacher, hagiographer, war hero, writer and snow ball dodger. Dunstan tells his story in the form of a letter to his headmaster in rebuttal to a mediocre piece in the college newspaper that marginalizes his career and life. Dunstan's friend Boyd (later going by the name Boy) is the snowball thrower cum industrialist and while Dunstan pursues spiritualism Boy chases with equal vigour materialism. The third life is the pregnant woman's baby, Paul--delivered prematurely due to that snowball--a dullard that goes on to be a great showman magician. Dunstan becomes obsessed with saints after growing up believing Paul's mother is a fool saint capable of miracles and his exploration of spirituality and religion is a result of this childhood epiphany. Davies plays with paradigms while presenting a story rich with Jungian archetypes.

Grade: A (first one for those keeping track)

Observations: What a great book! And although it pains me to admit it I learned more about sex from this book than my Catholic sex education classes. Frank, intelligent, and riveting--I can't believe I thought it would be a boring read. I pronounce it to be the greatest Canadian novel ever (or until I read a better one). My only criticism is when Dunstan is in Mexico and is looking for something to do and decides to...take in a magic show...what? You never see that on tour agency signs--Mexico $1200-All inclusive, 5 star hotel...magic show! Maybe a little Barry and Stuart would make it a different deal:













Segues: I thought there was a film--there isn't. Davies made the novel into a trilogy--The Deptford Trilogy to be exact--but don't worry it works as a stand alone and you can read along with me without having to tie up loose ends. While Calgary is replete of snow right now I nonetheless have a video for those of you with limited experience with snowball technology:












Tomorrow's book (Children's Fiction): Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland